The rise of awareness about germs and infection has made hygiene and sanitation a top priority for gyms and fitness centers. While there are various methods to sanitize gym spaces, Ultraviolet (UV) light and the AirROS purification system stand out as two of the most popular. In this blog, we’ll explore the types of UV light for gyms, their benefits and drawbacks, and why the AirROS system offers a more comprehensive solution for maintaining a clean environment.
Types of UV Light For Gyms
UVC is the most effective type of UV light for disinfection, effectively killing bacteria, viruses, and molds. However, it’s harmful to human skin and eyes, necessitating empty spaces during the disinfection process.
UVB is less effective than UVC but still holds some potential in disinfection. Like UVC, UVB is also harmful to humans and requires an empty room for proper sanitization.
UVA is the least effective UV light for disinfection. Although it’s less harmful to humans, it still poses risks with long-term exposure and is much less efficient in killing microorganisms.
Benefits of UV Lights
- Effective Against Pathogens: UV light is effective in killing bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- No Chemicals Required: UV light doesn’t require any chemicals, making it an eco-friendly option.
- Quick Disinfection Time: UV light can sanitize surfaces and air relatively quickly.
Drawbacks of UV Lights
- Health Risks: UV lights can cause skin burns and eye injuries.
- Inconsistency: UV light can only disinfect surfaces it directly shines on, missing out on shadowed areas.
- Energy Costs: UV lights can consume more electricity, adding to operational costs.
- No Continuous Sanitation: Once the UV light is turned off, there’s no ongoing protection against new germs.
A Scenario: The Spread of a Virus in a Gym – UV Light vs. AirROS
Imagine it’s a typical day at your local gym. A member unknowingly carrying a contagious virus walks in, uses various machines, and leaves. Now let’s compare how UV Light and AirROS would handle this potential outbreak.
Scenario with UV Light For Gyms:
After closing time, the gym staff switches on the UV lights for disinfection. The light effectively kills pathogens on exposed surfaces but fails to reach shadowed areas and doesn’t treat the air. The next morning, another member uses the same machine that wasn’t fully disinfected. The germs continue to spread, possibly leading to an outbreak.
- Intermittent Protection: UV light provides no ongoing sanitation; germs can recontaminate immediately after the light is off.
- Incomplete Coverage: Fails to reach shadowed areas, only affecting surfaces the light directly shines upon.
- Airborne Pathogens: Does not treat air, which can be a significant vector for spreading viruses.
Scenario with AirROS:
With AirROS, as soon as the infected member enters, the air containing the virus undergoes Phase 1 of AirROS purification, with the HVCP chamber destroying airborne pathogens. As members continue to work out, the longer-lived ROS from Phase 2 sanitizes surfaces and air continuously. By the time the next member uses the same machine, the virus has already been eliminated, averting the potential for an outbreak.
- Continuous Protection: AirROS provides 24/7 sanitization, eliminating pathogens immediately and continuously.
- Full Coverage: Targets both air and surfaces, ensuring complete sanitization.
- Immediate Action: Starts working as soon as the pathogen is present, minimizing the spread and potential for outbreaks.
Why AirROS is a Better Alternative
Phase 1 – Primary Air Cleaning
AirROS employs a High Voltage Controlled Pulse (HVCP) reaction chamber that creates non-thermal plasma and generates Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS). It destroys molds, viruses, and other pathogens as they pass through the HVCP chamber.
Phase 2 – Secondary Surface & Air Cleaning
The purified air diffused into the environment contains longer-lived ROS like dry hydrogen peroxide and low concentration levels of ozone. These work in synergy to create Hydrogen Trioxide, which continuously sanitizes air and surfaces.
Advantages of AirROS
- Comprehensive Coverage: AirROS sanitizes air and surfaces, eliminating germs in both.
- Continuous Protection: The system offers 24/7 sanitization, providing ongoing protection.
- Safe for Humans: Unlike UV lights, AirROS does not pose health risks.
- Energy-Efficient: Consumes less energy compared to UV light systems.
- Odor Control: Hydrogen Trioxide also controls odors, offering a fresh-smelling environment.
While UV lights have their merits, their drawbacks make them less ideal for a gym environment that requires comprehensive and continuous sanitation. Given its advantages in complete coverage, continuous protection, and human safety, AirROS emerges as the clear winner for maintaining cleanliness in gyms. By choosing AirROS, gyms not only ensure a more hygienic space but also instill greater confidence in their members, knowing that they are protected around the clock. Ready to take the next step in ensuring a cleaner, safer gym environment? Upgrade to AirROS today and give your members the confidence and protection they deserve around the clock. Contact us today!